Fabiano Souza


A project to conect all J. Walter Thompson employees around the world.

  • Scenario

    Mirum is a global agency, but that time the need to unite the its offices around the world was still a real thing. We presented an app prototype that allows people from one agency interact with others, promoting cross-office interactions, helping each other in their projects or asking questions between them. The project was valued and putted into practice.

  • Challenge

    The biggest challenge was to create the ideal atmosphere for more than 12.000 users could be incentivated to interact between them in the formulation and resolution of problems. To create the first impulse, we needed to think about well structured gamefication, to ensure that the rejection level of the new tool was the lowest as possible. Besides that, we needed to bring the concept closer to the user's reality.

    The deadline to developing the MVP was really short, so we decided that we were going to create a web responsive app that would advance in the future to progressive web apps, using all of its native system resources.

  • Strategy

    We started with a 3 hours brainstorming where we collected some ideas of features and a lot of insights about gamification. With the information in hands we filtered and picked the essential for the MVP. We used moodboards to give us patterns to follow, it would give us more time to think about the experience.

  • Design

    For the first version, Ludy, the UX Designer created the flow creation and taxonomy, followed by wireframes. I defined the styleguide and started working on the visual design. To the back-end, we used a technology called Starmind, that brought the core of technology necessary to Pangaea works.

  • Visual Design

    In that time the company was passing by a new positioning campaign, that gave me the challenge of use vibrant colors in an interface that would be used every single day. Find a good balance between colors, information and white space was not easy. Also I had in my hands the gamification goal, what I solved creating badges and scoring by some criteria, such as creating or answering questions, comments and avaliation questions, and experts recommendations.

  • Testing and

    After a hard work designing the first version of Pangaea, validanting the flow with Axure prototypes and testing with a coded prototype, we had the product ready to be tested outside. We used 2 users to test the flow, 5 users to test the Axure prototype and 20 users to test the functional coded version.

  • Iterating

    With metrics of Google Analytics, feedbacks of Intercom and user interviews, we validated the basic funcionalities of the version that we had launched. Users were engaged, competing hard to get the top of the ranking, so the gamification was working really well.

    We made some small improvements and sent 200 invites to test with a good amount of users.

    The adoption was low, and we made some reasearchs to discover why. As we had a big number of questions, the user was not feeling so motived to interact with the platform, and with a little number of users they felt kind of alone.

    The solution was to focus on each question, showing up to two questions per scroll, giving some interactions even before the user open the question. Also we brought the "what is happening" of inside the question to outside. The result: more than 30% increased in adoption.

    Also we changed the interface color to blue, just because the yellow is kind of agressive to an interface of day-to-day use.

  • Final Product

    The project at that time was ready and available for all users at all offices around the world. Was great to see even more and more users joining Pangaea and sharing their knowledges. Unfortunally, shortly thereafter I left Mirum Agency for a new challenge, but I know I left my legacy: a project ready to grow more and more. Was a incredible experience which threw me deep into product design, working with the more experienced guys that I ever met ❤️.